Aira Falls - Lake District

After spending 3 months in Scotland, me and my wife finally packed our bags to leave to England and decided to stay overnight at Windermere Lake in Lake District. Lake District is a very scenic place in the county of Cumbria and has one of the best views of the enchanting lakes hidden in the hills. I would recommend to drive there and enjoy the scenic landscape, which is really breathtaking.

We went to Ullswater lake first, stopping at Aira Falls and finally driving down to the Windermere lake. Aira Falls is preserved by 'The National Trust' and is a gorgeous location for a rugged 1.5 miles trek in a hilly forest to enjoy the stunning waterfalls. It was raining continuously that day adding to the atmosphere.



The moment you start your trek in the forest, you are instantly greeted by the distant sound of water splashing on to the rocks even though you cannot see the waterfalls yet.This is when I knew that my camera was going to be busy that day :)
Truly after few minutes, we came across these torrential falls!


As Aira Falls was not a planned stopover, I did not bring in my trekking shoes and slipped in the water many a time while stooping over to photograph the falls closely, making my shoes and trousers wet. Well I had no issues as I was just immersed in soaking in the nature and photographing the best scenes to my heart's content.


After more than an hour's trek, when my shoes started giving away on the slippery rocks and I had slipped 3-4 times, we decided to call it a day at the Aira Falls when suddenly my eyes fell on this last scene that I wanted to capture. The walk down to the edge of the falls was trecherous, filled with slippery rocks which instantly gave me a fear as I my shoes did not have good grip. In fact while going down, I slipped and fell knee deep in a puddle of water, luckily my equipment was safe as it was hanging around my neck and did not hit the rocks. Thank God for that...phew!!!!


Finally we said farewell to Aira Falls and made our descent. By the time we reached the car park, we were very hungry and had some snacks at the nearby cafe. So after a memorable experience here, we started our journey to Windermere Lake - our final stop in Lake District, where we had amazing experiences.
But more about that in the next post. Keep watching this space!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreamy Effect - Bokeh Play

Windermere lake - here we come.

ReWind - Harbour Bridge Walk